Thursday, May 24, 2012

Fox Walking

The Sandia Mountains outside Albuquerque New Mexico have been closed to human activity for the past month.  It is early June, temperatures are soaring close to 100f, 36c.  It has not rained in nearly 4 months, not a drop.  There are those who either are clueless to the closure of the wilderness, although that is nearly impossible since there are huge signs at every entry location of the mountain saying, high fire risk, closed until further notice. Or there are people who simply ignore the signage and go in anyway.

I just can not resist the temptation to find them and practice a little tracking as well.  Besides, I am a noted volunteer who is allowed into the mountain area, legally.  Did I mention that it was my day off so I do not have to be in full polyester uniform and badge?  I just so happen to have on my moccasins (dear skin, brain tanned) for silent movement and a bit of natural camouflage that I applied at a small natural spring to blend with the mountain landscape.

In the Elena Gallegos city park I noticed a set of prints, human tracks moving off trail and crossing the wire fence which just so happens to come very close to the wilderness boundary   at this particular point.  From the size of the prints, stride of the steps and the synchronicity of their steps, it is definitely a couple.  Most likely holding hands, looking for a little quiet and most likely romantic location.  So being the sport that I am, I decided to allow them time to enjoy aw....  the scenery.

I will check on them a bit later, just to make sure they  make it to their cars and out of the wilderness.

So instead, I will take advantage of a mountain that has had very little human activity for over a month.  You take the humans away and the mountain activity comes alive!

I spotted a group of deer track, quite fresh and decided to follow these track for a bit to see what I could find. I often start with a track, or some other interesting subject that catches my eye.  A rare flower in bloom or a call of a hawk and see where that leads. Wandering and allowing my surrounding to dictate my day is such a great freedom.  One I wish I could bottle and hand out to everyone.

 Back to the track.  These deer were on a easterly trek, moving at a very leisurely pace, why?  Their stride of step was very short, often stopping to browse and zig zagging back and forth like if drunk.   I was starting to lose interest in the track just as I sat down, as a Coopers hawk landed on a wire from an old boundry fence built by sheep ranchers early in the last century.  It was only three feet over my head!  By the looks of it, this hawk was very young.  It was covered in mostly white down and features.  So as I normally do I greeted my new friend.  "Hello young one", I called out.  The hawk merely tilted its head, looked down at me and turned its head away.  So I decided to ask its name, then where it lives, where is its mom, what has it eaten today... This went on for at least twenty minutes.

I came to the conclusion that I was the first human he got a look at and was learning about me, as much as I was learning about it. I guess he got enough of my babbling and flew off down the canyon out of sight.

If nothing else happened today I had a great day!  I made a new friend.

 But was there more to come?    

I was now getting a bit warm and wanted to move closer to the Domingo Baca arroyo that was still running with nice cool mountain water from a good snow pack this past winter.  The animal track and sign was just incredible.  Coyote tracks everywhere, cottontail and jackrabbit tracks were the reason.  Pack rats have built a new home in between two watermelon colored granite rocks.  Roadrunner track, look at the claws on that one!  Gambel's quail, looks like 5, no 6 of them.  The mountain is so alive, if man could just decrease his impact.  Lessen his indicators, maybe more could see all of what is happening here.  But most humans can not, or will not take the time to see, feel, hear what is going on around them.

 I was moving now into the more densely  vegetated area closer to the water, which I can now hear.  The water is running well, the mountain and its life is well nourished.  I decided to take off my moccasins and step into the ankle deep waters.  Cold, but so refreshing.  I hid my mocs and decided to walk up the waters for a bit, or until my feet go numb.  Over a boulder, under some fallen maple branches, move the horsetail and step through the drinking hummingbirds.  Just then.

As I rounded a huge granite boulder, right in front of me, is a silver backed black bears butt!  Right in my face!  I did not hear it or smell it because of the waters. He did not see me, smell me or hear me because of blind luck?  The wind was moving off the mountain towards me! Could not smell me.  I was walking up stream, no indicators in the water. I am 3 feet from the dominant male bear in this section of mountain.  I have seen him and his track and sign for years, now I get a personal upclose encounter.

The first thing I need to do is get my heart beat under control.  Next, I do not look at him straight on.  Wide angle vision to watch this magnificent animal, I do not want to seem a threat.  I now slowly back away to a safe distance.  I can smell him good now, musty sweaty smell.  I will never forget.    I am now on the opposite side of the stream standing behind a ponderosa pine tree that masks my scent a bit, at least I was hoping.   This silver back I now called gramps, because of the gray hair on his back, still shows no fear or indcator of knowing I am here.  I get to watch him overturn a rotting Pinon pine log and eat the harvest of ants and termites from the fallen tree.

What seems like an hour was really only 10 minutes or so.  I have seen many bear in my life, but this is the first time I felt a part of the surroundings.  Granted the privilege of this great treat, or was I fooling myself?  Was it that he was content and groggie with a full stomach?  No.  I really believe it was because for the past hours I was fox walking, walking softly on the earth, kicking up little in the way of indicators.  Not disturbing the natural flow of the area that did this.  My body was quiet, my mind was quiet and my spirit connected to my surroundings.

As I watched gramps move over the ridge and out of sight, I thought back to what a day it was.  The blessings I was given, the lessons in life shared.  I have seen gramps a few times since that day and who knows, I have seen so many coopers hawk, but none that has landed so close again.  It is this day that helps  me when I am feeling a disconnect from things.  Or a disappointment in an outcome.

Clear the mind, quite the body, fox walk in flesh and spirit makes the difference.  And who knows, great gifts you may receive.

And for that couple who went through the fence and into the mountain wilderness?  That is for another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment